Saturday, March 15, 2008

Fame & Fortune through Immorality and Corruption

Alan Greenblatt, writing for Ballot Box, asserts that the most certain way for politicians to gain publicity is to act in an illegal, immoral or corrupt way.

It being Saturday morning in Maryland, I can't help but think of our Governor O'Malley. If he had made his claims about the Maryland budget to federal investigators, he would be eligible for charges similar to those faced by Scooter Libby and Martha Stewart. Can you say illegal? Maybe not.

When I think about the farcical Maryland General Assembly Special Session of October 2007, I can't help but think about the immorality of strong arming legislators to vote for tax increases in a declining economy, and adding huge government programs to a previously balanced budget while claiming there was a deficit. When I consider the claims of the O'Malley campaign to stop the 72% increases in our electric rates, I think of the immorality of the lie and the illegality of even considering such an action, a violation of both contract law and the laws of the state. Immoral? O'Malley? Completely!

When I think about the 37% and higher raises given to Governor O'Malley's inner circle, while limiting state workers to 2%, while 6% is the statutory limit. I think corruption. When I think about the refusal by Governor O'Malley to appoint a Secretary of State because the person he likes for the job apparently refuses to work for under $100k per year, I think corruption. When I think of the Department Secretaries brought back from the Glendenning administration, who previously accepted the salaries established, but now must have more, I think corruption.

When I think about Governor O'Malley I think a politician acting immorally, corruptly, and possibly, illegally. I can but hope that Maryland voters think of him this way too.

No comments: